Lyon Shipyard is dedicated to providing a safe work environment for its employees and customers. We also strive to protect the public, and preserving the Company’s assets and property. At Lyon Shipyard, our most valuable resources are the people who work for us. We believe that injuries and incidents can be prevented and we are continuously working to achieve this goal. Lyon Shipyard will make every effort to comply with all government regulations pertaining to safety and health issues. An effective safety and health program will be carried out throughout our organization.
What is it?
WASP is a mentorship program that encompasses our values here at Lyon Shipyard, with an emphasis on our value of safety. The wasp is a representation of the hazards we face daily at Lyon Shipyard. These hazards are our enemy in ensuring we go home the way we came in. By remembering our enemy the “WASP”, we will prevent ourselves from getting stung.
Who are we in contrast to the WASP?
We are Lyons! More importantly, we are a group of Lyons commonly referred to as “A PRIDE”. A pride of Lyons ensure survival by protecting each other and ensuring they teach their young survival skills.
Who is this program designed to serve?
Everyone. The “WASP” program has two different groups: The Lyons and the Paws, each with the common enemy of the WASP.
A Paw: Is and individual identified through age and/or a person with no to minimal experience in the shipyard. This consist of ages 18-29 with less than three years of experience
A Lyon: Is an individual that has been identified as a safety leader/mentor. This consist of a strong adherence to safety procedures and dedication to the safety of the Pride around them.
How can remembering the WASP serve me in being safe?
To combat the “WASP”, simply remember the spelling of the word. Each individual letter represents a teachable skill that Lyons will teach to our Paws:
- W-Wellness: An individual’s overall positive wellness while at the shipyard and at home will ensure that our “Pride” is doing our work the safest way. These include topics for training and resources to include but not limited to: health training while working, mental health, financial health, and self-inventory. Before starting work, are YOU in the right physical and mental condition to ensure that you and others around are safe?
- A-Analyze: An individual’s ability to analyze hazards and risks around them is an essential skill to ensuring a trusting and safe environment. Before starting a job, have YOU analyzed all the potential hazards and risks to yourself and those around you?
- S-Share: An individual’s ability to communicate effectively to others is an essential skill in a safe work environment when hazards and risks exist. Anyone at Lyon Shipyard has the ability to stop work if a safety hazard or risk to people or property exist! Have YOU helped others in identifying hazards and risks around them?
- P-Protection: An individual’s overall ability to protect themselves and others while working in the presence of hazards and risks is a great asset. Do YOU have the protection required to do the job?
What will this program look like on a day-to-day basis?
- Monthly Paw training where tangible and training resources on the WASP principles are applied.
- Application of Paw stickers and Lyon stickers on hard hats. This visual application will help Lyons in the yard keep attentive eyes on our Paws. It will also help our Paws easily identify our Lyons to ask questions or reach out for help.