- Ensure that updated docking plans are maintained for all vessels (electronic and hard copy) and all new inquiries are verified against this list / updated as appropriate. Obtain copies of docking plans for all new vessels if required.
- Prepare blocks as per docking plans and ensure that vessel is in docking condition prior to docking and undocking and check tank contents – if not satisfied then direct the owners to place vessel in the correct condition.
- Dock / undock the vessels carefully and correctly so that no damage is caused to vessels or to the docks either. Maintain control over the tugs when vessel entering or leaving dock.
- Amend the blocks as and when required to complete the project with due regard to vessel stability.
- Ensure all safety procedures are followed and work towards improvement of the safety culture.
- Ensure vessel specs are complete including obtaining copies of all technical drawings required.
- Interface with clients, superintendents, class surveyors and owners agents as required for projects.
- Schedule work scope for the yard upon arrival of the vessel and prepare all variation work orders for approval.
- Project production planning / quality control & reports.
- Analyze sub-contractors job quotations / quality and compliance with agreed contract.
- Control all materials and consumables required, effective cost controls on the use of all manpower on the vessel and reduce additional costs / excessive overtime.
- Bringing outstanding items / issues to Management notice in a timely manner.
- Meet agreed annual objectives / targets & produce reports.
- Ensuring any client concerns / complaints is brought to Management attention immediately.
- To act on own initiative in order to improve the process or projects and inform Management of any suggestions for consideration.
- Attend any safety meetings and ensure the workforce complies with any and all updates in the safety process.
- Carry out Safety / Operational briefings regarding specific tasks which are to be undertaken on each project and ensure all personnel involved are also in attendance.
- Complete various “Internal Projects” assigned to them in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Report unsafe acts / instances requiring discipline to Management without delay.
- Understanding and following the agreed goals and annual targets for the position.
- Daily productivity report for client & management – as required
- Daily costing report for client & management – as required
- Daily QC report – as required
- Weekly variation report – as required
- Initial ongoing and final docking condition – as required
- Final costing of docking – as required
- Report any “incidents” associated with the vessel to the safety manager
- Entire project personnel – for either the docking or the vessel repairs
- VP of Production
- Minimum Qualification: experience with Naval Architecture
- 10 years in the Shipyard Industry
- Three (3) Outside Machinists, 1st Class
- One (1) CNC Inside Machinist, 1st Class
- WELDERS & Shipfitters
- One (1) Helper – Inside Machine Shop
- Apprenticeship, Journeyman or Bachelor’s Degree and or 6 plus years of experience in the ship repair industry or on a ship as an officer, port engineer or repair supervisor.
- Ability to understand technical documents, technical manuals, and drawings.
- Experience with NAVSEA Standard Items and familiarity with FAR and DFAR.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- Attention to details, Strategic planning and the Analyzing of information.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, manage time effectively and to identify work priorities in a constant changing environment.
- Proficient with corporate productivity and presentation tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Ability to write reports and business correspondences.
- Strong listening and presentation skills. Ability to effectively present technical presentations to a diverse audience.
- Problem solving skills, decision making skills, and strategic Planning abilities.
- The ability to establish and maintain positive business relationships with internal and external contacts is a key component of this position.
- The ability to influence, negotiate, direct and accommodate competing business and/or leadership. Strong influential skills to direct employees not in line of authority. Excellent mediation and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong analytical ability and strong research capabilities.
- Ability to work independently within a team setting.
- Ability to research and interpret contract documents and regulatory publications.
- Strong customer service skills with vessel owners and industry executives.
- Ability to succeed in a diverse team environment.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Possess working knowledge of Shipyard production processes.
- Full understanding of production planning and work sequencing processes.
- Ability to identify new processes and procedures required by industry change.
- Strong understanding of various factors that yield a successful bid.
- Strong computer skills extremely useful with emphasis on MS Project/P3, CAD, spreadsheet, and word processing applications.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and operate a motor vehicle with satisfactory driving records.
- Ability to acquire a Rapid Gate Badge.
Key reporting requirements
TEMP TO PERM
ESTIMATOR - Contracts Administrator
Lyon Shipyard Inc. is seeking an Estimator- Contract Administrator to support our downriver division in the preparation and administration of government contracts performed down river.
The Estimator / Contract Administrator develops and administers labor hour, material and subcontract estimates for all proposals and growth work for the ship repair/dry docking industry. Estimates are developed from customer furnished specifications, drawings, contract terms and standards. This position tracks and manages projects’ transaction compliance such as margins, milestones, deliverables and invoicing and effectively presents this information to production, upper management and customers when applicable. The position monitors and negotiates growth and assists the production team.
Basic Qualifications, Skills and Abilities: